The townhouse has become a very popular housing choice in Ottawa in recent years. The number of people living in townhouses is now the second-largest category after single-family homes, and many new developments are being built specifically as townhouses.
The popularity of this type of dwelling is due to their many advantages over other types: Townhouses typically have smaller yards and decreased maintenance costs, they are often more secure than traditional single-family homes because there are usually fewer entrances to monitor, and because they’re not built on large lots like detached houses can be – which means that the price per square foot for a townhouse will generally be higher than for a detached house. Townhouses also provide owners with an investment opportunity making it a great choice for those who are looking to downsize or invest in real estate.
In addition to these advantages, townhouses also have several other benefits.
Here are 20 Advantages of Living in a Townhouse in Ottawa:
- Increased privacy – Unlike a condo, townhouses typically have individual entrances and yards, which provide residents with more privacy.
- Lower maintenance costs – Because townhouses usually have smaller yards, there is less upkeep required, and this can lead to lower monthly maintenance fees.
- More security – With typically fewer entrances and windows than a detached house, townhouses are often more secure.
- More affordable – Although the price per square foot for a townhouse is generally higher than for a detached house, they are often more affordable overall, as the cost of upkeep is lower.
- Easier to find parking – Townhouses typically have fewer parking spots than detached houses, but this isn’t always a disadvantage because it can be easier to find parking in a city like Ottawa or urban area.
- Higher resale value – Townhouses typically appreciate fast so they can be a great investment opportunity.
- More compact – Townhouses are more compact than detached houses, which makes them ideal for those who want to downsize or live in a more urban area.
- Less expensive to heat and cool – Because townhouses have smaller footprints, they use less energy to heat and cool, which can save residents money on their utility bills.
- More sociable – Due to their communal living spaces, townhouses often encourage a more sociable lifestyle among Ottawa residents.
- Better for pets – Townhouses with yards are often better for pets than condos or apartments, as they provide a place for dogs and other animals to play.
- More sustainable – Because townhouses typically have smaller yards, they are more sustainable than detached houses and use fewer resources.
- Can be used as a short-term rental – Townhouses can be a great option for those who want to make some extra money by renting them out as short-term rentals.
- More versatile – Due to their design, townhouses can be used for a variety of purposes, such as office space, studio apartments, or even as a single-family home.
- Often come with garages – Many townhouses come with attached garages, which can be a big advantage for those who need parking in an urban area.
- Lower insurance rates – Because townhouses are typically more secure than other types of dwellings, they often have lower insurance rates.
- Come in a variety of sizes and styles – Townhouses come in a variety of sizes and styles, so you’re sure to find one that suits your needs.
- Easier to furnish – Due to their compact design, townhouses are often easier to furnish than detached houses.
- Often have rooftop decks – A bonus for many townhouse residents is the availability of rooftop decks, which offer amazing views and plenty of outdoor space.
- Can be remodeled more easily – Townhouses can be remodeled more easily than detached houses, as there is less exterior wall to work with.
- Easier to sell – Because of their many advantages, townhouses are often easier to sell than other types of homes.
Whether you’re looking for a more sustainable and affordable option in the current market or simply want to downsize, townhouses are a great choice for homeownership. With their many advantages over traditional single-family homes, they offer residents several benefits that can be hard to find elsewhere. So if you’re considering making the switch to townhouse living, be sure to keep these 20 advantages in mind!